Thursday, January 15, 2009

Sites Worth Sharing

I have added a new gadget to our family blog and I've entitled it "Sites Worth Sharing". I hope everyone can take some time click on the links:

I've had the pleasure of volunteering at Animal Rescue Inc. as a cat caretake, go figure. This is where I adopted Cleopatra Ann and Augustus Lee back in 2007. Little did I know that both cats would grow up to be psychotic and attack the Christmas tree, steal pens and anything wrapped in plastic, drink from the commode if the lid is not shut, eat the string off of anything (shoes, clothes, the girls' bookbags, bras, etc.), and will attack you if they see you eat ice cream because they want some. Okay, so the last habit is one I created. Who knew that a spoonful of Wendy's frosty would forever alter the lives of Cleo and Auggy? On a serious note, I have witnessed the devotion and compassion of everyone who gives their time at A.R.I. whether they are paid employees or volunteers. I have also seen the love of their community shine bright in donations of all kinds - money, litter, food, blankets, medicine, etc. ARI hosts a number of events in PA and MD to bring awareness to those around them and help raise funds through annual Christmas parties, a special dogs day in the park, working with Petsmart to showcase their cats for adoption, and attending animal expo's. ARI also offers low cast spay and neutering services for cats every Tuesday and Thursday to those families suffering in the poor economy. While money is tight for some and others have lost their jobs, people have had to give up their beloved pets because they could either not afford to keep them. As tough as it is for Steve, the girls, and I with 5 cats and 1 dog, I urge everyone to hang onto their pets. They are not just animals, but an extension of your family and for some, like me, they are actually my children. I am thankful to everyone who has adopted any animal from any shelter. Most people tend to shy away from shelters thinking that only muts or the ugly ones live there, but take a chance to visit one if you have never and you'll see that the only animals there are the most gentle and meek ones ready to love anyone who gives them a chance.

I am a blanketeer for Project Linus. I am currently double crocheting a multi-colored blanket and will be posting my progress soon. Blanketeers around the U.S. donate their time by making homemade washable blankets for children up to 18 years old who are seriously ill or have been traumatized by abuse or neglect. All blankets are welcomed and the website does have a list of what's acceptable. There are various chapters within each state which acts as a drop off site when you are finished a blanket. However, the blankets must come from a smoke free environment. I find creating a blanket to be personally fulfilling. It allows me to express myself in my designs, no matter the simplicity of the patterns. I love to crotchet, so this is my excuse to do it and learn new tricks of the trade and experiment with stitches and patterns. Plus when I'm finished with a blanket, it doesn't have to sit around the house. I can put it to good use by keeping a child warm and showing compassion through a stitch. My co-worker became a blanketeer after I told her about Project Linus. As she crotcheted her first blanket, her grandson was born and had to be transferred to the N.I.C.U. There, he was given a blanket donated by Project Linus. Isn't that wonderful to know the very same organization she is helping has helped someone in her family? For those of you who are creative and are interested in helping a child, please visit this website.

No comments:

Post a Comment