Monday, August 24, 2009

When the Going Gets Tough, the Tough Get Growing

The pictures above are veggies that will soon to be ready for picking, with the exception of the tomato. We have a few tomatoes which we need to pull now. We planted the garden with the intent to eliminate the extra money being spent to buy some veggies at the grocery store. Needless to say, our garden is a late bloomer so we've had to buy our veggies. Except for spaghetti squash; I refuse to pay the high prices which I've seen to be up to 3.99 a lb. Don't get me started on cucumbers; they are 85 cents now which is ridiculous compared to the 50 cents I only paid during spring time.

The pictures below are tomatoes that Steve picked. The mystery has been solved...the veggie sliced in half was a spaghetti squash and not a watermelon. It did not have a chance to mature. It appeared the pesky animals chewed it off from it's vine.

Not bad for a garden which everyone ignores, never gets watered, and it is littered with weeds.

3 comments:

  1. Hey your tomatoes are okay?? All the tomatoes around here are bad. It is something called a blight (sp?). The bottoms turn bad before they are close tobe ripe. I have actually picked some when they were green. I guess it has something to do with the seeds & all the rain we had. I am mad I had awesome tomato plants. Cutting Cherry Tomatoes for a sandwich blows!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not heard about tomatoes with bad bottoms. They seem okay except that they are small in size. Maybe the size has something to do with the type of plant we planted. I'm shocked we even have veggies to eat. We have major problems with ground hogs. Steven wants to shoot them, but I can't bring myself to validate this method of thinking.

    ReplyDelete