Friday, August 28, 2009

Take Time to Smell the Roses

Aren't these roses gorgeous? My sister, Jackie, sent me 2 bunches of them. I didn't have a big enough vase so I must keep the bunches separate so the vase stays balanced. I believe each bunch has 24 roses. I don't care about the quantity, but I wanted to give the credit that is due to Jackie for sending them. THANK YOU!
On August 29, 2006, Jackie received a kidney from me. Each year of the anniversary, she sends me flowers to thank me. It should be me thanking her because I was able to be a part of something wonderful. Why did I do it besides the fact that she is one of my big sisters whom I love? It's simple. Jackie deserved what we all got to do everyday. For most of us we do it sometimes without thinking and sometimes over thinking. What am I talking about? Making decisions. Jackie's life was limited which meant her decisions were limited. Her life was based around her kidney disease. Simple pleasures such as sleeping in, drinking milk, and vacationing were made difficult. It wasn't fair. She didn't deserve to live that way. Jackie deserved to make smart decisions, along with the careless ones, just like the rest of us.
If I had the option to undo history having gone through it, I wouldn't have changed my decision to donate a kidney. She is a wonderful person and truly one of a kind. I am blessed to have her as a sister.
What have I learned from the transplant experience? To live my life. To love the simple moments because they are the ones that bring the greatest joy. The world teaches us it's all about your clothing label, how fast your vehicle can go from 0 to 60 MPH in 30 seconds, bra size, and that it's not what you know that will get you ahead, it's who you can sabotage to get there. Love teaches us how to joyfully sacrifice ourselves for another's happiness whether it's to give into an argument, allow some else to win the race, or donate your last dollar. God loved us so much he sacrificed his son.
It shouldn't be how many people you know, but how many people you actually love. It shouldn't be how smart a child is at 1, but how many times he runs to you for a hug. It shouldn't be the bigger the diamond, the more he loves you. It should be about his simple gestures and him always wanting to be in your presence. It shouldn't be about fighting time, but about loving yourself enough to be okay with all the flaws.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure what happened...I had each paragraph indented and double spaced!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! I am glad you got them and you like them! YOU ROCK! I Love you!

    ReplyDelete