Saturday, February 21, 2009

CRASH, BAM, BOOM!

Do I have everyone's attention yet? Both RB and Bubbles made a blanket campground in the living room and slept together last night. A few hours into the night, Bubbles had a very bad tummy ache so Steve spent time laying down with her and rubbing her belly until she fell asleep. I ended up getting up to use the restroom, get a drink of water, and take some Tums because I felt as if I had swallowed a ball of fire. I'm sure this is, too, courtesy of Baby Fowler. When everyone managed to get settled, we then heard a loud noise. I can't even begin to describe the noise. Steve and I thought the cats knocked over pots and pans in the kitchen. I looked around, but didn't look in detail before I hopped into bed. RB and Bubbles came running upstairs because they heard the noise as well. Steve went downstairs to investigate. All of a sudden the girls run back upstairs and said there is a car flipped over in our yard. HOLY CRAP! I jump out of bed, Steve is trying to get dressed, the girls are scared, and I ran towards the kitchen door to see what in the world had happened. I immediately called 911 as Steve proceeded outside to find out if anyone is okay. At this point I should make those aware who have not been to our house that we have no street lights anywhere, so it was pitch black. The outside lights from our house didn't even help illuminate the yard. By this time, I'm outside reporting to the dispatcher what I see and Steve confirmed there is no one in the SUV. NO ONE IN THE SUV? As the reader, you may think, enough time had transpired for someone to flee the accident. No! All this happened in a matter of minutes and the driver just vanished. For all we knew, the driver was still somewhere in our yard, but we certainly wouldn't have known in the dark. The dispatcher said this was becoming increasingly common for drivers to run away. After seeing the SUV, I'm not even sure how the driver got out and was coherent enough to run anywhere. After getting off the phone with 911, I grab a flashlight and a bat. I wasn't sure what to do next. I was worried for Steve because he was still investigating the SUV in the dark by himself. I asked the girls to stay in the living and they wanted to know why I had a bat. I told them I was going to beat the crap out of the person who crashed their SUV into Steve's SUV and the yard. In a matter of minutes, police cars and fire engines arrived. Talk about trying to keep a low profile in my neighborhood! I overheard the cops talking and it seems the owner of the vehicle was discovered after a student I.D. was found near the site. I was then told a man was picked up about a quarter of a mile from the house who was apparently intoxicated and bloody. The man denied being the driver of the vehicle was taken to the local hospital. DUH! I don't care what the man denied. It was too much of a coincidence. There is a field with an embankment across the street from us. It appeared the driver lost control of the vehicle and flipped the SUV after hitting the embankment. There were no tire marks, just scuff marks where the roof was sliding on the road. It knocked the mailbox out of the ground and into our driveway and bumped into Steve's SUV just loosening his bumper and making a tiny dent above the back left light. It turns out, a woman reported the SUV stolen about 90 minutes before the accident occurred outside our house. She eventually arrived in a police car and took video of the scene and immediately left. At this point, I'm only assuming she was the owner. I will not have a copy of the police report until Tuesday since it's the weekend. It's a miracle Steve's SUV was not seriously mashed. If my car was parked on that side of the driveway, who knows what damage would have been sustained and I would have been one angry pregnant woman as I only have 4 more car payments to make. I do not feel remorse for the drunk who crashed the car. I hope his injuries are painful and evidence can be gathered to bring forward a conviction. Unforunately, none of us witnessed him driving since he abandoned the vehicle. He impacted the vehicle owner's life. Who knows what kind of economic struggle the owner was in and now must deal with a vehicle which more than likely will become totaled. This foolish drunk scared myself, Steve, and most importantly the girls half to death with his stupidity. What if this driver killed someone? I hope justice is served.







1 comment:

  1. MOTHER!!!!! That is CRAZY!
    I am glad to hear you are all safe.
    Sounds like you need to install some security lighting. That'll light up the night!

    ReplyDelete